The youngest Slovenian city Velenje is all about the stories from the past that interact with colorful present experiences. From the underground coal-mining adventure to an active day at the city beach where one could explore submerged villages. Sup, sailing, canoeing, fishing or just swimming in the refreshing water of the Velenje lake. Get a list of our favorite adventures in Velenje! 🙂
Those who prefer to stay dry could go on a treasure hunt or enjoy vistas during panoramic flight above the valley. And what is this small colorful city also famous for? It prouds itself with the biggest Slovenian family festival, the Pippi festival which entertain numerous kids and their parents every September.
1. UNDERGROUND ADVENTURES IN VELENJE
Velenje is well-known for coal mining tradition. Why not to become a miner for one day? 🙂 Completely renovated underground Coal Mining Museum of Slovenia, that was also nominated for the European Museum of the year in the past, provides its visitors with a unique experience of coalminers who for decades descended 160 m below the ground to dig the black gold. During an hour and a half of a thrilling journey the visitors will experience a little piece of miners life in the past and today.
- WHEN TO GO: all year round, note to make a reservation before your visit (the museum is closed on Sundays and Mondays)
- DURATION OF THE TRIP: 2 hours
- APPROPRIATE FOR: individuals, groups, school trips but not small children (less than 6 years)
- WHERE TO EAT: the miners meal is included in the trip (sausage, bread and juice), Jezero Restaurant
- ACTIVITIES IN SURROUNDINGS: water activities on Velenje lake, fishing at Škale lake, caving at Huda luknja
- MORE INFO AND RESERVATION: Coal Mining Museum of Slovenia, +386 31 752 418
2. ENJOY FAMILY ADVENTURES IN VELENJE: PIPPI FESTIVAL
Velenje hosts the biggest children festival in Slovenia, which is organized every year in September. This year Pipi Festival takes place from 18th to 24th of September 2016 at Velenje Lake and other town venues. Subject of this year Festival is DIY (do it yourself). Pippi’s hike will be organized on Saturday, 10th September 2016, at 9 a. m.
During the Festival, more than 100 Pipi’s creative workshops are organized, there is a large and small theatre stage, a fairytale and concert stage with different type of events, the town hosts exhibitions, Pipi’s cinema and sport activities with Pipi. You can also visit Pipi’s house named Villa “Čira Čara” and meet her horse Alfred and her monkey Ficko. Two red ponytails, freckled cheeks, two different and colorful socks and oversized shoes, characterize Pipi. Pipi has won the hearts of the young and the old all over the world.
- WHEN TO GO: 18th to 24th of September 2016
- DURATION OF THE TRIP: 1 -7 days
- APPROPRIATE FOR: school trips, kids, families, individuals
- WHERE TO EAT: on the stands at the festival
- ACTIVITIES IN SURROUNDINGS: water activities on Velenje lake, hiking or cycling Pozoj castle trail
- MORE INFO: Festival Velenje
3. SUP-ER EXPLORING SUBMERGED VILLAGES
It’s a one time experience of alternative touristic guiding with sups on the Velenje Lake. You could explore the submerged villages with local tourist guide and at the same time hear the story of the youngest Slovenian city. You will also get to know a legend about who have once lived in the lake and informations about how the city was built and how the lakes were made.
You could also enjoy other activities on the Velenje lake: sailing, wind surfing, canoeing … Watch the video and feel the energy! 😉
- WHEN TO GO: spring, summer, autumn
- DURATION OF THE TRIP: 2 hours
- APPROPRIATE FOR: groups, individuals, couples
- WHERE TO EAT: Jezero Restaurant
- ACTIVITIES IN THE SURROUNDINGS: water activities on the Velenje lake, cycling around Velenje lakes
- MORE INFO AND RESERVATIONS: TIC Velenje, +386 3896 18 60
4. PANORAMIC FLIGHT ABOVE THE ŠALEK VALLEY
Not afraid of the heights?Another amazing adventure in the Šalek Valley is panoramic flight with a two-seater glinder. From the air you will be able to see the lakes, the hills, the citys and other interesting panoramas. On the flying you will pass:
- airport Lajše at Šoštanj
- the Velenje Lake
- the Velenje city
- Gora Oljka hill
- Topolšica village
- WHEN TO GO: in good weather conditions, check by the organizer of the trip
- DURATION OF THE TRIP: 15 minutes
- APPROPRIATE FOR: individuals, couples (2-3 persons/flight)
- WHERE TO EAT: Vila Široko, Topolšica Spa restaurant,
- ACTIVITIES IN THE SURROUNDINGS: water activities on Velenje lake, hiking or cycling Pozoj castle trail
- MORE INFO AND RESERVATIONS: Aeroclub Šalek, +386 41 470 340,
5. GEOCACHING ADVENTURES IN VELENJE
Do you remember how much fun we had when we were young playing treasure hunt games? 😉 Geocaching is interesting for everyone – children, adults, citizens and for visitors. Around Velenje you will find few geocaching trails. The most well known trails are:
- Geo Pika trail with 34 treasures from Velenje to Družmirje Lake.
- Geo art Pika trail with 45 treasures,
- Koželj trail with 15 treasures,
- Thematic trail – The dragon’s castle trail around Velenje,
- Velenje – night experience,
- Welcome to Velenje trail,
- Velenje Wherigo – from Velenje to Šalek castle and
- Velenje – Garmin chirp experience.
In Vila Bianca (TIC) you can find a collection of geocaching in Velenje. Take a garmin and go to find a treasure! Good luck on your journey through the city!
- WHEN TO GO: spring, summer, autumn
- DURATION OF THE TRIP: depends on the trail and conditions (2 hours-1 day)
- APPROPRIATE FOR: individuals, couples, groups
- WHERE TO EAT: Restaurant of the Paka Hotel, La Donna Restaurant, Villa Herberstein (chef Andrej Kuhar, the only Slovene with the prestigious Michelin star)
- MORE INFO: TIC Velenje, +386 3896 18 60
WHERE TO SLEEP IN VELENJE/ RESERVE AN ACCOMMODATION IN VELENJE
- Hotel Paka **** – an awarded hotel in Slovenia and abroad
- Hotel Razgoršek *** – a family ran hotel
- Youth hostel Velenje – 500 metres from the Velenje town centre, 58 beds
- Ocepkov gaj **** – holiday homes at Topolšica Spa, 15 minutes by car from Velenje
- Villa Herberstein **** – splendid location and superb food
WHERE TO ORGANIZE AN ACTIVE EVENT FOR A GROUP IN VELENJE?
- The Red Hall is the largest covered area used for organized exercise and other events, one of the central sports facilities in Velenje. Located at the entrance to the town. More info: Red Hall Velenje
- Tenis center Jezero is located at attractive location at Velenje lake surrounding. It is one of the best recreational centers in Slovenia. Outdoor and indoor tennis courts, beach volley courts, fitness center, gym, football court, basketball court, mini golf.
We would like to thank the Tourist information center Velenje which has helped us with information. Please check all information before attending the activities and events.